By Kalie Savill

Zika virus outbreak in U.S is worse than expected. Currently, the zika virus is only transmitted through one type of mosquito called the “Aedes Aegypti” but if another mosquito species that is known as the “Aedes Albopictus” (Mosquito from northern Asia) ends up being capable of transmitting Zika as well, the outbreak will be more widespread. Outbreaks will most likely be worst in the cities of Miami, Houston, and New York.

There have been 346 confirmed cases of Zika in the United States according to the CDS that are all associated with travel. A wide range of birth defects have been linked to the virus. In addition to microcephaly (abnormal smallness of the head) and brain abnormalities, babies with Zika infections also have had eye problems that could cause blindness, extra scalp skin, clubfoot and arthrogryposis, a condition in which newborns joints are stuck in either a flexed or extended position, according to the CDC report. The lifelong cost of caring for a baby with microcephaly is estimated to be $10 million.

About 80% of Zika infections cause no symptoms. The other 20% cause symptoms such as a fever, itchy rash, joint pain and pink eye. Four in 10 Americans have heard only a little or nothing at all about the virus, according to a survey released last week from the Associated Press and the NORC Center for Public Affairs Research at the University of Chicago.