by Taco Bug
“Obamacare needs the premiums of healthier people to cover the cost of sicker people. It’s a devious con that can only be described as insurance.” ~ Stephen Colbert
Patient Protection Affordable Care Act (AKA: Obamacare) is a health onscreen ve law. It was signed into law on March 23rd, 2010 by Barack Obama. The Supreme Court finalized it June 28th, 2012.
The task of this law is to reduce the health care cost growth and give access to affordable health insurance. It is not for replacing your current insurance, but it is to place rules on your health insurance plan. It’s presumed that this law was made to keep insurance from cost spikes and being so expensive in the first place or dropping those that have too high risk/with pre-existing conditions later found.
At first there were so many trying to sign up that no one was really getting anywhere. Private insurance companies were canceling plans for not providing the 10 essential health benefits. The 10 benefits being:
1) Out patient care. (leave the same day)
2) Emergency room services. (Most plans covered this but would charge extra if was out of the network or if they go without permission)
3) Hospitalization. (Was 2,000 – 20,000 dollars/day)
4) Preventive, wellness and chronic disease management.
5) Maternity and Newborn care.
6) Mental and behavioral health treatment. (Includes addiction)
7) Prescription drugs. (Was usually offered with a cost.)
8) Services and devices to help people with disabilities, injuries and chronic conditions.
9) Lab tests (100% covered for preventative tests)
10) Pediatric care. (Most do not cover)
Now health insurance is available for the 32 million that couldn’t afford it before. Also with Obamacare, health insurances can not turn down coverage for children with pre-existing conditions. The Daily Show’s Jon Stewart says, “So,yes, the president was somewhat dishonest about the promise of his health care program, but here’s the weird part, his opponents have been lying like mother f * ckers about it’s effects.”